About

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

DUN DUN DUUUUUUUNN!! Poll results! And why you should always chew with your mouth closed.

First off...the much anticipated poll results from the "cheese on a stick" post. The winners are......"NO"! Whaaat!? haha! Kidding, I thought that might happen. With a whopping 21 total votes on this poll, 11 of you voted that you would not, in fact, put ketchup on your cheese on a stick or grilled cheese sandwich. 10 said, "YES! Yes I will!" We didn't lose by much! 

Enough of that now. More polls on more fun things will come later. The real reason for this post today, is not because I was baking something (I did make banana bread last week though, I will post that recipe and pics later), it is because I have to rage about something that happened at work.

If you remember, from my "about me" page (go read it or re-read it if you are not familiar), I am NOT a fan of "mouth noises" I cannot stand...open mouth chewers, talking with your mouth full, smacking, slurping, sucking, crunching...just typing this makes me shudder. Sooooo, you can imagine what was going through my head today, when I was preforming an ultrasound on a patient and she proceeded to smack, suck and crunch on a hard candy! Hard candies are one of the worst! The anger built up in my tummy for the full 8 min that this ultrasound lasted, and believe me, I couldn't get away from her fast enough! (Additionally, she is crazy, but that is beside the point).

Now, I am deaf in one ear, so that itself is a bit of a challenge sometimes, and I do my best to put things  I don't want to listen to on my "bad side" (left). I always have to have the phone on my right ear and I do a lot of lip reading...you may have to yell at me sometimes, and do not try to talk to me when I can't see you. So, do you think these awful crunchy smacking noises could have happened when this crazy woman was on my "bad side"?? Nooooooo nooooo! Full on mouth noises going on right at my "perfectly functioning, hears REALLY well since it is the only working one I have", ear. Let's just say, it made my tummy hurt. I mean, hubband has to sit on my left side when he eats, just so I don't hear anything, and he isn't even an open mouth chewer! I think I have been preaching the whole "no mouth noises" thing since I was 11 or 12. Check with my dad, he can tell you. Poor guy couldn't even eat soup around me. Now he slurps it just to piss me off. It works.

Now, growing up, I was an open mouth chewer (not for long!) Let me tell you how I fixed that. My mom and dad taught us table manners, but my favorite uncle, Dick, scared them into me! Sadly, uncle Dick passed away back in 2005 and we all miss him mucho! But dammit if he wasn't a great time! My uncle Dick was awesome, he put up with ZERO bullshit, from anyone....could be where my cousins Becky and Kelli get it. Just a guess. (I may have learned a few things there too).  Now, uncle dick taught me many things that have helped me as I grew up. Personally, I think that the two most important things I learned from him were...1. always chew with your mouth closed! 2. How to use my e-break on a hill when driving a stick shift! (that's another post for another day, but I think of him often when doing this!)

Uncle Dick was a big advocate for table manners and respect and he made sure that, whether it was his own kids, or his nieces and nephews, he was going to instill these manners into you! It worked. Or.... the more likely option, the noises annoyed the shit out of him just as much as they do me, and he wanted us all to shut the hell up and eat quietly... I am going with that. Either way, because of his help I was able to teach others all about table manners...Enter, my baby sister, Marti! I just beat the manners into her. Now, she is good to go! No more loud eating from her!

I can sense that I rambled. Basically, EAT QUIETLY! If I can hear you, it's a problem. Remember, I am half deaf! If I can hear it, it must be loud! So please, if you want hard candies, please enjoy them in the privacy of your own home, car, or better yet, daily run. :) Like I used to tell my sisters and my dad. "can't you just let the cereal get soggy before you eat it? It's awfully crunchy".  Apparently too much to ask! If you "can't breathe" because of some nasal problem and you need to be an open mouth chewer, just get an IV and save the rest of us the the tummy troubles. I am going to quietly go enjoy some jelly beans now. Until next time! Grumpy baking!

B






No comments:

Post a Comment